Barry has over 15 years experience in the private, public, and university sectors as a senior manager in applied research and technology organisations, with substantial involvement at the board, committee, and executive levels.
He has held positions as COO of a major university research centre, Group Leader in sustainability research at CSIRO, Project Facilit ator for a highly innovative Earth science consultancy, and Manager of a statewide broadband digital community network.
Barry is well versed in the challenges of achieving high performance in dynamic and complex multiproject environments, and has a strong interest and background in guiding interdisciplinary teams and programs to apply cutting-edge approaches to contemporary issues.
He has a PhD in Earth science, an MBA with a special focus on knowledge management, and is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- BSc (Hons) University of Queensland
- PhD University of Queensland
- MBA Graduate School of Business Administration (University of New England)
- GAICD Australian Institute of Company Directors
Recent Board and Committee Positions
- Canberra Symphony Orchestra: Board Member; Chair, Artistic Management Panel
- Australian Earth Sciences Convention 2010: Organising Committee, Co-convenor Resources Theme
- Chief Operating Officer, Centre for Sustainable Energy Systems, Australian National University, Canberra
- Project Facilitator, FrOG Tech Pty. Ltd., Canberra
- Principal Geologist, Geo Discovery Pty. Ltd., Brisbane & Canberra
- Group Leader, National Futures, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Canberra
- Manager, NSW.net, State Library of New South Wales, Sydney
- Leader, Geoscience Information, Exploration Promotion, Queensland Department of Mines and Energy, Brisbane